Oftentimes, teams will have several environments with different resources and access from different users. Allocating operations to the right resources while ensuring a fair queueing is an important behavior, especially when you scale your workload.
Polyaxon provides several interfaces designed to achieve fairness when a limited resource is shared, for example, to prevent a hyperparameter tuning with large search space or parallel executions from consuming more cluster resources than other workflows and operations.
Polyaxon provides several tools to:
- Limit workflows from running a large number of concurrent operations.
- Prioritize some important operations.
- Route operations that require special resources to the right node(s), namespace, or cluster.
- Split your workload over several nodes and clusters.
There are several distinct features involved in the scheduling strategies:
- Node scheduling: A feature that leverages the Kubernetes API to select nodes for running your operations.
- Resources scheduling: A feature that leverages the Kubernetes API to enable GPU/TPU, or other special resources for your operations.
- Queue concurrency: A feature to throttle the number of operations on a queue based on parallelism.
- Queue resources and cost quota: A feature to throttle the number of operations on a queue based on resources (CPU/Memory/GPU/…) or operations’ costs.
- Queue agent: A feature to route operations on a queue to a namespace or cluster.
- Concurrency management: A feature to limit the number of operations queued.
- Resume & Restart: Scheduling operation by resuming, restarting, and copying previous operation runs.
- Conditional scheduling: A feature to start operation on nodes or queues based on inputs data or to completely skip scheduling the operation.
- Manual approval: A feature to pause and suspend operations and pipelines and wait for human approval to resume the work.
- Operation cache layer: A feature to reduce the cost and execution time by avoiding and skipping similar work.
- External scheduling: A feature to schedule and submit operations from external systems.
- Handling termination: A feature to handle failures and termination and enforcing SLAs.
- Managing Priority: A feature to prioritize important operations and enforcing preemption.
- Cost estimation: A feature to estimate the cost of running operations or to enforce quota based on complex environment definitions.